Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

DIY Wall Hanging Coat Rack

As the weather gets colder here in Wisconsin I am reminded of the multiple jackets and sweatshirts that we keep piling on to stay warm. This also means that these same jackets have just been piling up in our entryway. So I decided to build a nice coat rack that can also serve as a wall shelf. This is what I came up with! 

DIY Wall Mounted Coat Rack

Check out the instructions below to make your own!


I decided to keep it super simple. I used a 4 ft long 1x6 and a 4 ft long 1x4. This essentially creates a nice 4 ft shelf that has plenty of room to add the pegs. 

4ft 1x6 and 4ft 1x4

I measured out the distance for where I wanted the pegs on the back side of the 6 inch wide board. The top row of pegs was 2.5 inches from the top and the bottom row was 4.5 inches from the top. The first peg was 2 inches from the edge and then spaced every 7 1/3 inches. The bottom row started 5.5 inches  from the edge and spaced every 7 1/3 inches for the rest of the board. This will allow the pegs to be offset and maximize the amount of pegs you can get on the board. I managed to fit 13 pegs on this coat rack. 

The Measurements of the Peg Holes

Once you have it all measured you can go ahead and drill a pilot hole through the wood starting from the back and going to the front. I used a 1/8 inch drill bit. This will make it easier to screw the pegs in without splitting the wood. This is what the front will look like.

Pilot Holes for the Screws

Now drill a hole into the end of each peg. I cut each peg 3 inches long. I used a branch from a piece of diamond willow. This is what it looks like when the bark is peeled of and sanded down. You could use pretty much any tree branch or just a cheap wooden dowel from the hardware store.

Diamond Willow Pegs

Before I screwed the pegs in I went ahead and drilled the holes to mount the top board to the side board. I used a Kreg Jig but you could drill also just drill holes at an angle.

Kreg Jig to Drill the Top Holes 

Now that all the holes are drilled, go ahead and attach the pegs. I used 2 inch wood screws and drilled from the back while holding the peg over the pre-drilled hole. Once the screw was through the wood it went right into the peg and secured it nicely to the flat side of the board.

Pegs Attached to the Board

Now that all the pegs are on there you can go ahead and attach the top of the shelf. I used 1 1/4 inch Kreg screws. Here is a picture of the fully assembled Wall Hanging Coat Rack.

Finished Coat Rack

Now it is time to add the finishing touches. I made a DIY beeswax wood sealant. This is super cheap and easy to make and it will give the wood a nice finished honey coloring. It is non-toxic, smells wonderful, and really protects the wood. It goes on like a gooey paste, and then you just wipe off any of the excess.

Applying the Beeswax Sealant

My wife and I just applied it with our hands. It took about 15 minutes to apply it to the whole coat rack.

Further Application of Beeswax Sealant

This is what it looked like when it was all done! You can see the before and after picture. It takes a few hours to dry and it gets a little darker once it is completely dried.

Before and After with Beeswax Sealant


Once it is all dry you can go ahead and hang it on the wall!

Coat Rack Mounted on the Wall 

To mount it I found two wall studs and drilled a 2.5 inch screw into each one, making sure they were level. Then I measured the distance between the two and drilled two holes into the back of the top part of the shelf at that same distance. Then all I had to do was line up the two holes with the two screws and the coat rack is now mounted flush against the wall!

39 comments:

  1. Just curious, do you have to redo the beeswax finish annually, or how long does it provide protection for the wood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Thank you so much for this post. I can't wait to try it. I'm always so freaked out by the commercial sealants. They are so awful for you. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, read this, how did you get the buffed finish? I applied mine and it has dried for a week. How do you remove the excess without lint getting all over it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I use beeswax/olive oil sealant on the hardwood plywood bookshelves. I want to leave natural wood, but I would like to highlight the wood grain, and of course use all non toxic ingredients.If I do how long do I need to wait to be able to put books on it without the oil seeping into the paper? I was going to use Tung oil, but then I found out that I need to wait 1 month for it to completely dry before putting the books on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nate - The link to the DIY recipe in the article is actually for an olive oil/beeswax sealant.

      Delete
  5. would this also seal in odors if the wood smells like mothballs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it woukd seal it in, under the sealant trapped forever never to be smelled again :)

      Delete
  6. Hiya thank you for sharing your knowledge. Just wondering if this method and recipe (which I have read and saved) is ok to use on my new (to me but bought second hand) pine table & chairs? They were a bit grubby when I got them so we scrubbed them down several times with a scrubbing brush and degreaser then baking soda & hot water using a souring pad,finally with soapy hat water, they still have a few marks especially the table but overall it just looks rustic. Thanks for reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Love the idea of chemical free sealant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I apply this sealant over stain? Or will the stain smudge?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you want a coat rack for supporting the decoration in your home, you need to look for the designs that can stand out and make a statement in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your post! Did you try this for outdoor furnitures / garden boxes? Can you recommend a wood sealant for outdoor wood furnitures?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just what I need for polishing my concrete countertop in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is art and i like this idea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi thank you so much for this great sealant and wax, can I use this on cutting boards? If I wanted a lemon scent to the oil can I add a piece of lemon peel while the wax is soft and stir the oil in, and just leave the peel in there. Again for cutting boards and maybe my tired old window ledges. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd use mineral oil pharmaceutical grade because oils go rancid. I hope this is helpful.

      Delete
    2. I know your post is several years old so you may have figured it out already, but I have been a professional painter since 96 and most of the paints and finishes you have to use are just horrible. I am in the process of remodeling my own home now and just installed new kitchen cabinets. I have actually opted to use a bees wax mixture on them instead of a harsh varnish or lacquer. I answer to your question, yes you could add some orange peel. I would probably use a zester so it's in smaller pieces and that way it will bring out the lemon smell even more.

      Delete
  14. Hi there,
    Really found this to be extremely helpful as it answered a question I had regarding beeswax and furniture. SO my next question is, I have been reading the comments and see that people have been asking questions for quite some time. But you don't answer anyone back. So why is this? Why put up an information tutorial and then not answer any questions people may have?
    Just curious.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it odd also after a few years(?) Hope he's ok, but it'd be nice for someone to say something

      Delete
    2. Some people just like to post their work on sites like this because it helps to get recognition and business, so taking the time to answer people's questions just isn't high on their list of priorities unfortunately. Sad. I have read all of the questions and comments and they are all very legit and deserve to be answered. This post is kind of like buying something at the store that you have to assemble but only getting half of the directions.

      Delete
  15. If you'd like an easy way to earn part-timeincome by doing something FUN, go check this out now:

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    My friend Jim, has successfully run a HIGHLY profitable woodworking business from home and he has just released his step-by-step blueprint.
    Read His Amazing Story:

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    It is a no-fluff step by step guide to create a part-time woodworking business, selling easy-to-build wood crafts, from HOME...with NO capital or experience required.

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    He started out with little carpentry skills and run a business in a 10x20 feet spacewith ZERO capital....But managed to made $9000 per month as a one-person business within the FIRST year!
    The cool thing is, you don't have to be an expert woodworker to start this business as it's packed with solid STEP-BY-STEP instructions and information on what to do to turn your *passion into profit*.

    ReplyDelete

  16. If you'd like an easy way to earn part-time
    income by doing something FUN, go check this out now:

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    My friend Jim, has successfully run a HIGHLY
    profitable woodworking business from home
    and he has just released his step-by-step blueprint.

    Read His Amazing Story:
    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    It is a no-fluff step by step guide to
    create a part-time woodworking business,
    selling easy-to-build wood crafts, from HOME
    ...with NO capital or experience required.

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    He started out with little carpentry skills
    and run a business in a 10x20 feet space
    with ZERO capital....

    But managed to made $9000 per month
    as a one-person business within the
    FIRST year!

    The cool thing is, you don't have to
    be an expert woodworker to start
    this business as it's packed with solid
    STEP-BY-STEP instructions and
    information on what to do to turn
    your *passion into profit*.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does the olive oil from the sealant get on the clothes? I was thinking of using this over a tea stain, then steel wool & vinegar stain for a board to put pictures on. I want to make sure it won't damage the pictures.

    Thanks for the help, and the recipe!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is totally awesome. Although variety of article on this topic, this article contains some of the precious points which were never be read in other articles.
    Home

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here.  Internal Wall Panels

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. Hanging Towel Racks

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with LFDS after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:Le_Meridian Funding Service  (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of LFDS at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This article is very good. We would like to leave a good article. To read more articles, click here >>>
    bloglovin
    5e68b4dadffdc.site123.me
    wixsite
    manop1012.blogspot
    medium

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! I Love it...
    and i thing thats good for you >>


    THE MOVIE Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please do not use olive or any vegitable oil as they become rancid and will eventually add to fungus mold issues. Use a beeswax mix with mineral oil instead. Will last much longer without the oil going bad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Suggest good information in this message, click here.
    mundialdebeisbol2013
    timesnorth

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ранилеги, keith titanium
    Ранилеги, ford fusion hybrid titanium keith titanium shift knob titanium Ранилеги guy tang titanium toner бытве иний titanium mens wedding band предбетна. Скапусиин дноват плавтеромиственая. Сляпредбетная инния инема. ford edge titanium

    ReplyDelete
  28. The way you explained cleared all the concepts. Thanks for providing the important information in the easiest form, Keep sharing, definitely will be helpful for those looking for Coat Hangers and related service you can visit My Coat Hangers .

    ReplyDelete